Saturday, August 11, 2018

AN ACCIDENTAL CORPSE REVIEW


40045098

AN ACCIDENTAL CORPSE is a harmonious blending of fact and fiction. Jackson Pollock's drunk driving accident that killed him and Edith Metzger is the basis for the mystery. What if Edith wasn't killed in the accident but was already dead by strangulation? Surely survivor Ruth must know  what happened. A dead girl, your roommate and best friend, doesn't just wind up dead in the back seat of your lover's car and you know nothing.

Vacationing police couple Fitz and Nita, with their son TJ, are witnesses to the wreck and first on the scene.

The mystery of Edith's death was solid and enjoyable. I likewise enjoyed my introduction to the Springs area of the time, it's Bonaker denizens, and the flourishing artistic community that had moved to the area. What a mix of characters.

It took me a while to warm up to Fitz and Nita, not sure why, it just did. For me, the first exchange between Capt. Steele and Nita, where she "set him straight" was unnecessary, awkward, and  interrupted the flow of the story. 

There were numerous references to The Exquisite Corpse, which intrigued me and occasionally made me feel I was missing out on something. I'll definitely be in line to read when it comes out.

If you enjoy seamless blending of fact & fiction mysteries, you will enjoy AN ACCIDENTAL CORPSE. 

3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment