Saturday, September 10, 2016

Forever Books

Do y'all have books that you've had forever and just flat out refuse to part with? There are still some on my shelves I got while in high school. My first regular job was as a waitress at a restaurant that was only open Friday and Saturday nights, The Dairy Barn. Out in the middle of nothing on the #1 Hwy between Augusta and Wrens, it drew people from as far away as Aiken, SC. With the money left after buying school clothes I joined the Doubleday Book Club and the Literary Guild. O' happy day...There are still books on my shelf from them. Mary Stewart's THE CRYSTAL CAVE, THE HOLLOW HILLS, THE LAST ENCHANTMENT, & THE WICKED DAY. This series was absolute magic to me as a 14 yr old, along with THE MISTS OF AVALON. Shortly after I discovered Rosemary Rogers and Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. Couldn't, and still can't, stand GONE WITH THE WIND, but adore ASHES IN THE WIND.
THE CALL OF THE WILD, WHITE FANG, ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS, these were my loves in elementary school and they hold me to this day. My mother had to write a note to the town library giving me permission to check out whatever struck my fancy because I was beyond what they thought I should read. Momma never censored my reading, and God love her for that.
Trashy or not, Jacqueline Susann is on my keeper shelf. She was one of my first "adult" reads. When my boys started school we had some of our most memorable times sharing books. Introducing them to my childhood friends, watching Wishbone (excellent series & sorely missed), and discovering new classics like Graeme Base and the I SPY series. Their day wasn't complete without me reading to them or one of them reading to me. They all still read for pleasure,
Books have been wondrous for me, taking me away, teaching me, expanding my world....I can't imagine my life without them and don't want to even think about it. There are many things I can live without or give up if need be, my books aren't on that list.
What about y'all? Old loves, new favorites? How do books make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment